The Legal Manager renders strategic support in the management of the legal risk inherent in the business. He/she is also responsible for assisting the Company Secretary in all corporate governance issues.
• Responsible for giving strategic advice on the legal implications of management’s decisions and actions as well as the policies and procedures of the business.
• Responsible for conducting research and providing expert advice to the business on how it may affect its operations.
• Responsible for identifying and mitigating the inherent legal risk in the business.
• Responsible for examining legal data to determine whether cases should be settled, commenced, or defended.
• Responsible for gathering evidence to formulate defence or to initiate legal actions, by interviewing clients and witnesses to ascertain the facts of a case.
• Responsible for having oversight responsibility over external legal consultants and ensure they are effective and work assiduously to ensure the task assigned is performed to the best of their ability.
• Responsible for having oversight over the company secretariat and providing guidance and advice on corporate governance, ensuring that practices, policies, and business activities carried out within the organization are in adherence with the relevant legal and regulatory best practice and ensure that decisions of the board of directors are implemented.
• Responsible for overseeing the perfection of collaterals at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority as well as the Lands Commission and any discharge thereof.
• Work closely with the Recovery team to recover loans in arrears at court.
• Responsible for ensuring that all members of the legal team work efficiently and effectively to achieve the overall goals of the unit.
• Responsible for managing the legal cost of business. Must ensure it is always kept to the barest minimum.
• Responsible for the drafting and reviewing of all agreements related to the organisation.
• Responsible for ensuring all contracts, legal documents and templates are up-to-date and compliant with statutory laws.
• Responsible for reporting on legal activities, risks and litigation.
• Responsible for conducting general legal training for staff.
Educational Qualifications and Experience:
• A Bachelors’ Degree in Law.
• Qualifying Certificate in Law.
• At least 8(eight) years working experience, desirably in a savings and loans institution, bank, or a law firm.
• Should have at least 4 years managerial experience.
• Should be well versed in legal recovery, litigation and perfection of security.
• Computer knowledge (Microsoft Office- Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Skills / Attribute
• Good knowledge in spoken and written English
• Problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
• Analytical skills and a good eye for detail.
• Planning and organizational skills.
• Negotiation skills and ability.
• Good communication and presentation skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time efficiently.
• Hardworking, goal and result oriented as well as an organized team player.
• Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge.
• Great “people-person” skills and professional attitude.
• Positive attitude.